Baptism at Victory
When you become a Christian by making a faith commitment to Jesus Christ for your salvation, one of the next steps is being baptized. Baptism is an event in which we go public with our faith-commitment to Jesus Christ.
Why should I be baptized?
- It follows the example set by Jesus in the Bible (Mark 1:9).
- Jesus commanded it (Matthew 28:19-20).
- It demonstrates that you are really a believer in Christ (Acts 18:8, 1 John 2:3).
Who should be baptized?
- Every person who has believed in Christ (Acts 2:41).
Because the purpose of baptism is to publicly confess your personal commitment to Christ, at Victory we wait to baptize children until they are old enough to understand its true meaning.
Why be baptized by immersion?
- Jesus was baptized by immersion (Matthew 3:16).
- Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion (Acts 8:38).
- The word "baptize" means to "dip under water."
- It best symbolizes a burial and resurrection by illustrating a death to myself, a burial to my old way of living, and resurrection to a new life in Christ.
What is the true meaning of baptism?
- It illustrates our cleansing from sin (Titus 3:4-7).
When you become a Christian, all of your sins are washed away and our Lord declares you holy and righteous.
- It illustrates Christ's death and resurrection (Colossians 2:12).
- It illustrates new life as a Christian (Romans 6:4, Ephesians 2:8-9).
Baptism doesn't make you a believer; it shows that you already believe. Baptism doesn't save you; your faith in Christ does that. Baptism is like wearing a wedding ring: it's the outward symbol of a commitment you made in your heart.
- It illustrates my connection to the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:4-7).
- It illustrates my connection to the church (1 Corinthians 12:13).
When should I be baptized?
- As soon as you have believed in Jesus (Acts 2:41).
There is no reason to delay. As soon as you have decided to receive Christ into your life, you can and should be baptized.
Email the church office today at email@example.com to get in touch with us about getting baptized.